What is Sigfox?
Sigfox basically means 2 things:
Radio technology protocol
- Worldwide radio network for the Internet of Things (IoT) using Sigfox radio technology
Imagine the Internet as a human body
The head is the traditional internet as we know it. Email, social networks, big data, visualizations etc. But the head/internet has a very limited capability of understanding the physical world around us. It lacks the human senses. This is where IoT devices come into play. IoT devices are the senses of the traditional internet connecting the Internet to the physical world. The touch, temperature, sight, noise etc.
In order to transfer this information from the senses to the brain, you need to have neural lines in your body.
Sigfox is nothing else then a neural system transferring information from the sensors/IoT devices to the Internet as we know it.
- Very different from Bluetooth, GSM, LTE or WiFi
- Not using any physical SIM cards
- Allowing devices to work on very small batteries with a 10 to 20 years lifespan
- Transferring messages to the Internet directly, without having to use local hardware/gateways. It is using hundreds of radio towers deployed nationwide.
- Allowing for low-cost, small devices
- Emitting up to 200 km
- Public protocol definition
- Supported by hundreds of manufacturers and devices
- Working worldwide
2. Worldwide radio network for the Internet of Things using Sigfox radio technology
- Physical network with tens of thousands of radio towers worldwide
- A managed network with strict SLA, reliability and security monitoring
- Being built up and supported by 60 Sigfox operators (one in each country) and covering one billion people
- Central and unified security
- Very simple and unified access to all the data from the devices
- Paid by device and according to the number of messages from the devices (approximately 0.1 USD to 1 USD monthly)
- Enabling location tracking of the devices
If you're selling IoT and you want to send this information to your potential clients, we have a nice PDF available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15KFWcd-2BXh8oXhyJn76I_KeEZXQFk0O/view