How to set up the device for temperature monitoring? How to do temperature monitoring with IOFrog?
Intended for: End users and integrators & platform providers to understand device behavior before direct implementation and fine-tuning (for those who want to integrate the device into their own platform, the firmware documentation is here: API 6 and API 5)
Use case description: We will use the SimplePack mode Temperature monitoring. Once activated, the device will report any temperature that is higher or lower by X°C (2°C is default) from the first measured temperature. The desired temperature delta (the difference between temperature necessary to trigger the alert message) is fully customizable. Temperature will be measured every 3 minutes by default - this is also possible to change. See suggestions below.
Detailed business case: TBD
Before-you-start checklist (you should have everything on the list if you went through the first message guide - https://ask.simplehw.eu/first-message):
☑️ Sigfox connectivity
☑️ Sigfox coverage where you need it
☑️ IOFrog platform account and access
☑️ Correctly set-up callbacks in the Sigfox backend (if you're using your own connectivity)
✅ Everything is fine!
1. Go to the IOFrog platform and login with your account
2. After you login, head over to your profile in the top right and make sure your Experience level is at least Explorer, otherwise you will not be able to change device downlink - if necessary, increase your level and hit Update to save the changes
3. Go to the All devices tab and click on device Setup
4. In the downlink tab, set the mode to Temperature monitoring (0...0111 in the top bar), Update
5. Press the button of your device for 10+ (SP 2.0) or 6+ (SP 3.0 Plus) seconds, this will trigger downlink with the new settings - the LED will keep blinking for about a minute
SimplePack 2.0 SimplePack 3.0 Plus
6. Now you need to press the button to activate the device (just for test - you need to see if your device received the downlink payload correctly or not), you should see a Start of arming and Armed messages and when you open device history or the All devices tab, the mode should be set to Temperature monitoring and the last message should be Armed
7. If you received these two messages, the device is set up correctly and you can disarm/deactivate it with a long press (2-6 seconds), you should receive a Disarmed message
8. Now comes the part where you place the device where you need it: just place it wherever necessary, make sure that there are no metal objects touching the device. If you need to monitor temperature on a metal surface, use a 2-3 cm plastic spacer (read more about device placement here: ask.simplehw.eu/device-placement)
9. Once placed, activate the device by pressing the button and try putting the device into a fridge or freezer to see if the messages are triggered and sent to you correctly.
There, all done!
- If you want to customize the settings, you can do so in the Downlink tab in Setup
- If you want the temperature difference that triggers the alert message be higher or lower, input your own value to the Delta (°C) to trigger message window
- If you want the temperature sensor to measure temperature every minute or 10 minutes, change the Measurement interval period in the Temperature tab
Public data sharing: TBD
Private device sharing: You can share the device to your colleague's IOFrog account by opening the Setup interface and filling in their email in the Share tab
Need our help with customizing the settings?
Fill in this form! https://ask.simplehw.eu/use-case-definition