How to set up the device for door monitoring? How to do door monitoring with IO Frog?
Intended for: End users and integrators & platform providers to understand device behavior before direct implementation and fine-tuning (for those who want to integrate the device into their own platform, the firmware documentation is here: API 6 and API 5)
Use case description: For monitoring doors, we will use the SimplePack mode Door mode. The device behaves like this: You will receive a message whenever the door is opened or closed. The device uses the magnetometer to determine change of orientation and picks up smooth movement (which the accelerometer sometimes struggles with). Simple, long-lasting and reliable.
Before-you-start checklist (you should have everything on the list if you went through the first message guide - ask.simplehw.eu/first-message):
☑️ Sigfox connectivity
☑️ Sigfox coverage where you need it
☑️ IO Frog platform account and access
☑️ Correctly set-up callbacks in the Sigfox backend (if you're using your own connectivity)
✅ Everything is fine!
1. Go to the IO Frog platform and login with your account.
2. After you login, head over to your profile in the top right and make sure your Experience level is Expert, otherwise you will not be able to change device downlink - if necessary, increase your level and hit Update to save the changes.
3. Go to the All devices tab and click on device Setup.
4. In the downlink tab, set the mode to Magnetometer mode (0109 in the top bar), hit Update.
5. Press the button of your device for 6+ (SP 3.0 Plus) seconds, this will trigger downlink with the new settings - the LED will keep blinking for about a minute.
If you're working with the SimpleIndustry or the SimpleMeter, you need to either wait for the heartbeat that will request downlink (older prototypes) or you will use a magnet on the reed switch instead of pressing the button. The time of operation is the same (6s+ of magnet presence to trigger downlink, 2-4s to disarm device, 1s to arm).
SimplePack 3.0 Plus
6. Once the LED stops blinking, you can place the device where you need it: use a heavy-duty double-sided tape to stick it to the door. Please note that if the door happens to be made of metal, it's preferable to use a 2-3 cm plastic spacer (read more in our article about device placement here: ask.simplehw.eu/device-placement)
7. Once placed, activate the device by pressing the button and try opening and closing the door to see if you receive the message right.
There, all done!
Please note that Sigfox has a 90% delivery success rate. It's possible that the downlink will not be received by the device, the best way forward in this case is simply repeating the whole process from Step 4 onwards.
- If you're getting false reports of usage or limited reports, try playing around with magnetometer sensitivity settings (the higher the number, the less sensitive the sensor)
- If you're losing a lot of messages, set up 3x alert repetition. This will better the performance of your device and you should lose less messages
Public data sharing: IO Frog also supports public channels, where you can add multiple devices and display data from all of them, including their position on a world map. It's very cool and we highly suggest you take a look! Here's our coffee project and here's how to set it up.
Need our help with customizing the settings?
Fill in this form! https://ask.simplehw.eu/use-case-definition