Temperature (cold chain) monitoring whitepaper¶
We offer temperature monitoring with:
- different precision possibilities
- different devices
- different business logics
- different price points
Temperature monitoring can also be combined with data from other sensors:
- door opening (light, reed contact, magnetometer or accelerometer)
- tilt detection (accelerometer)
- movement (accelerometer)
- button press (button)
- position/location (from 2m to 1km+ precision - Sigfox/WiFi tracking)
Please contact us to find the best solution for you if you want to combine sensors!
Precision and resolution of sensors¶
4 different ways to measure temperature:
- Accelerometer/MCU with a precision of 2°C-3°C. We call this ambi temperature.
- Internal STMicro high-resolution and high-precision calibrated MEMS sensor (SimplePack, SimpleMeter, SimpleIndustry) with a precision of 0.5°C. We call this precise temperature.
- External precise and calibrated NTC on the case with extreme precision.
- External 1-2 extremely precise NTC sensors on a cable (e.g. water pipe monitoring with pipe sensors - we can provide the devices with 50 or 100 cm cable length).
API 6 supports a resolution of 0,5°C in the range of -40°C to 87°C. For SimpleIndustry Hot, the range is shifted upwards by 35° to a range of -5°C to 122°C.
If the regulation concerning the use case would require a higher resolution, please let us know!
Overview of the devices¶
SimpleLeak - ambi temp only
SimplePack 3.0/4.0 Basic - ambi
- SimplePack 3.0/4.0 Temp - precise
SimplePack 3.0/4.0 Full/PoC - precise plus other sensors
SimpleMeter - precise
- SimpleIndustry internal - precise
- SimpleIndustry external on case - precise
- SimpleIndustry external on cable 1-2 sensors - precise
- SimpleIndustry Hot - project-based
- SimpleLeak is dust, air and waterproof, therefore any temperature change outside will take some time to be noticed inside the device.
- SimplePack can be mounted directly on a pipe using non-metallic duct tape. Or pretty much anywhere else.
- SimpleMeter measures air temperature and humidity and since the device case has air intakes, the change is noticed quickly.
- SimpleIndustry has an IP68-rated case and measures air temperature and humidity.
- SimpleIndustry external on the wire 1-2 sensors can measure air or water or pipe surface temperatures
Overview of smart business logic¶
IoT devices (sensors) should behave the same way as human senses. Report only relevant information, changes and thresholds and more.
You need to decide what will trigger the temperature message:
- Temperature threshold breach (smart mode - nothing is sent in stable temperature)
- Temperature change (smart mode as you don't send anything if temperature is stable)
- External event (e.g. movement - smart mode as you send information only when needed)
- Time interval - (you send information all the time)
This can be achieved either using regular Heartbeats or using the Periodic temperature independent event from FW revision 6.0.117+. We support sending redundant measurements in case the messages get lost. You can reconstruct all data even when you lose messages with this.
- With the Periodic temperature event, you can choose a redundancy of 1-9 measurements.
- With temperature pipeline modes, you have a redundancy of 4 messages that can get lost.
|Feature||Heartbeat with temperature||Appended payload||Periodic temperature event||Temperature threshold alert||Temperature threshold pipeline||Temperature change alert||Temperature change pipeline|
|Data can be aggregated||❌||❌||✔️||❌||❌||❌||❌|
|Data can be redundant||❌||❌||✔️||❌||✔️||❌||✔️|
|Trigger||Time||External event (e.g. movement)||Time||Threshold breach||Threshold breach||Temperature change||Temperature change|
Overview of independent temperature reports¶
Heartbeat with temperature
Receive regular temperature updates in any time interval. You can append temperature from both external NTCs of the SimpleIndustry!
Appended payload with temperature
You can append various data to every uplink event with hex symbol <0x7F. This means that you can receive a temperature measurement with every e.g. movement or light sensor event. Temperature from 2 NTCs is supported too!
Periodic temperature independent event
This independent alert reports temperature records over a period of time; you can adjust the time between each records and how many new records a message will contain. This event works in ANY mode and can use ANY temperature sensor (including MCU).
Overview of the temperature modes¶
Temperature threshold alert
In this mode, you set up to 3 temperature thresholds and optional hysteresis. Temperature is measured every 3 minutes in default but you can define your own measurement period. If any of the three thresholds is crossed either way, an uplink message is sent. In default settings, temperature is appended to every message as appended payload.
Temperature threshold pipeline
The device will send you last 5 measured temperature exceptions with respective time period for each exception. The message will first report the last measured temperature with 0 minutes and then the one before it and how long it occurred before the final measurement (from the 0 minutes). The temperatures will be recorded only when they cross one of the three thresholds either way.
Temperature change alert
In this mode, you set up a temperature delta. An event is triggered by the measured temperature being different from the last measurement by X. This variance is called the delta and can be adjusted - default is 2°C. In default settings, temperature is appended to every message as appended payload.
Temperature change pipeline
The message will first report the last measured temperature with 0 minutes and then the one before it and how long it occurred before the final measurement (from the 0 minutes). The temperatures will be recorded only when they are outside the delta window (between the last measured temperature and the last measured temperature ± the predefined delta).